Draft exemption or temporary deferral from military service Printable versionLast update: 03.08.2022
Every year, all young men aged 18 to 27 are called up for military service in Kazakhstan. Military service and protection of the Republic of Kazakhstan is the duty and obligation of every citizen. However, there are a number of circumstances due to which a young man can be released from military service both on a temporary and permanent basis (in accordance with the law "On military service and servicemen status"). If the latter presupposes a complete exemption of the citizen from the military service, then a deferment is a temporary release of the term for military service due to the certain circumstances.
Exemption from military service (army)
To begin with, we note that military discipline in Kazakhstan is divided into several areas:
- selective military service (for male citizens 18-27 years old for a period of 12 months);
- service of reserve officers (for guys under 29 years old for a period of 24 months);
- military service under a contract (according to the period specified in the contract);
- military training (for those liable for military service for a period of 2 weeks to three months).
Conscription of citizens for selective military service is carried out 2 times a year: from March to June and from September to December.
Citizens can receive exemption from military conscription in peacetime:
- recognized as unfit for health reasons.
Currently, there is a list of diseases, according to which a citizen can be recognized as unfit for military service. Based on the results of a medical examination, a specialist doctor issues an opinion on the category of fitness of the citizen according to the following criteria:
- "A" - fit for military service;
- "Б" - fit for military service with minor restrictions;
- "B" - is of limited fitness for military service (in relation to military personnel undergoing military service under contract, and officers undergoing military service by conscription);
- "Г" - temporarily unfit for military service;
- "Д" - not fit for military service in peacetime, limited fit in wartime;
- "E" - not fit for military service with the following exclusion from military enlistment;
- have reached the age of 27;
- persons in whom one of the relatives (father, mother, brother or sister) was died, died or became disabled of the I or II group while on duty during the period of military service;
- past military (alternative) service in another state;
- who served in special state bodies of the Republic of Kazakhstan, except for the cases provided for by paragraph 9 of Article 51 of the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan "On Special State Bodies of the Republic of Kazakhstan";
- having an academic degree upon the provision of supporting documents on training;
- clergy registered with religious associations.
In peacetime, the following are exempted from conscription for military training:
- citizens working in government agencies in positions related to ensuring defense, security and law and order;
- aviation personnel of state, civil and experimental aviation;
- citizens working in agriculture and in organizations for the repair of agricultural machinery, for the period of sowing and harvesting;
- pedagogical workers of educational institutions of full-time education for the period of the academic year;
- full-time students in educational institutions;
- women liable for military service;
- liable for military service for 2 years after transfer to the reserve;
- citizens with 3 or more children under the age of 18;
- citizens in respect of whom a preliminary investigation is being conducted or a criminal case is being considered by the court;
- liable for military service, elected by the deputies of the Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan or local representative bodies.
- citizens with a criminal record.
Note that if conscription for military service is carried out in wartime, then only citizens who are recognized as unfit for military service for health reasons are released.
Deferment from conscription
As mentioned above, a deferment is a temporary postponement of the term for military service due to certain circumstances.
The deferment is granted for the following reasons:
- for the family;
- in case to continue education;
- for health reasons;
- for other reasons.
A deferment from conscription for family reasons is provided to the citizens:
- those involved in caring for family members who need help and who are not fully supported by the state, as well as in the absence of close relatives or other persons living in the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan with them or separately, who are legally obliged to support these family members.
Family members in need of outside help and care are:
- father, mother, wife, as well as grandfather and grandmother in the absence of the conscript's parents, if they are dependent on him, who have reached retirement age or are disabled of group I or II;
- brothers, sisters who are disabled of I or II groups or under 18 years of age, in the absence of parents;
- a mother/father who has 1 or more children who are disabled of I or II groups or under 18, and brings them up without a husband/wife;
- a mother / father who has 1 or more lonely relatives (father, mother, brother, sister) who are disabled by age or disabled of group I or II, and supports them without a husband/wife;
- one of the parents who supports the other, who is disabled of the I or II group, and brings up 1 or more children under 18;
- a family member with a disability and in which the conscript is the only male child;
- citizens who have on their own:
- a child (children) brought up without a mother;
- citizens with whom they were in the upbringing and maintenance of at least two years in connection with the death of their parents or deprivation of their parental rights, or a court conviction to imprisonment;
- citizens who are married and have 1 or more children.
A deferment from conscription in case of continuing the education is provided to the:
- citizens receiving general secondary education in educational institutions for the period of study;
- citizens receiving technical and vocational, post-secondary or higher education in full-time education in the relevant educational organizations upon the provision of education supporting documents;
- citizens receiving postgraduate professional education for the period of study;
- citizens receive a deferment to continue their education only for the period of study.
The citizens receive a deferment to continue their education only for the period of study.
A deferment from military service to continue education is not provided to the citizens studying using distance learning technologies.
A deferment from conscription for health reasons is granted to the citizens by the decision of the draft board for up to 1 year.
A deferment from conscription for other reasons is provided:
- Teachers engaged in professional activities in preschool educational organizations, organizations of secondary (primary, basic secondary, general secondary), technical and vocational, post-secondary education, specialized, special educational organizations, educational organizations for orphans and children left without parental care, organizations of additional education for children, as well as in methodical offices, for the entire period of work;
- Doctors with appropriate education, permanently working in their specialty in rural areas;
- Deputies of the Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan or local representative bodies;
- Persons in respect of whom a preliminary investigation or criminal cases are being considered by the courts, respectively, until the end of the inquiry, investigation or the entry into force of the court verdict.
- To the members of flight crews of civil aircraft, engineers, mechanics and technicians of civil aviation with appropriate education, for the entire period of work in civil aviation organizations.
- Members of crews having the appropriate education for the entire period of work in water transport organizations;
- Persons undergoing initial training in the law enforcement educational institutions.
In this case, the deferment is granted for the entire period of work, and in the case of a criminal case until the end of the investigation by the court decision.
The list of diseases according to which a citizen is recognized as fit / unfit for the army
You can see the list of diseases here by following this link.
A brief description of the names used in the table.
Categories of the citizen's fitness for military service
1. for column I:
citizens when registering for enlistment offices;
citizens when conscripted for selective military service;
citizens when selecting for training in military-technical and other specialties in specialized organizations of the Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Kazakhstan (hereinafter referred to as specialized organizations of the Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Kazakhstan) free of charge;
citizens entering military educational institutions (HEI) implementing general education programs of general secondary education (schools) and their pupils;
2. for column II:
citizens (military personnel) upon admission to military educational institutions (hereinafter referred to as the university), implementing programs of technical and professional, higher education;
citizens upon admission and studying in military departments (faculties) at higher educational institutions;
citizens when entering military service under a contract from among soldiers, reserve sergeants, military personnel undergoing compulsory military service, as well as women who do not have a military rank;
citizens when selecting for training in military-technical and other specialties in specialized organizations of the Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Kazakhstan on a reimbursable basis;
servicemen undergoing compulsory military service;
cadets (attendees) of the university prior to concluding a contract on military service;
soldiers and sergeants who are in reserve, when called up for military training and passing military training, for accounting purposes;
3. for column III:
reserve officers when conscripted for military service and entering military service under a contract;
servicemen doing military service under the contract;
officers doing military service by conscription;
military personnel, upon admission to a university, implementing postgraduate education programs;
university attendees (cadets) after the conclusion of the contract;
to officers who are in reserve, when calling for military training and passing military training, for accounting purposes;
4. for column IV:
servicemen (citizens) doing military service under a contract (entering military service under a contract), officers doing military service by conscription in the Assault Forces (AF), the Naval Forces (the Navy), special operations units (SOU) - requirements apply to special operations units, marines, assault and reconnaissance units, combat swimmers and diving personnel, as well as the crew of ships and vessels ;
servicemen (citizens), undergoing military service (undergoing military training), involved in underwater driving of tanks and other vehicles, as well as going out to sea.
Additional names to the requirement for health reasons:
NS- not suitable for military service, service in the branches and combatant branches of the Armed Forces, other troops and military formations of the Republic of Kazakhstan in certain military registration specialties, not suitable for entering a university (schools); not fit for military service with harmful factors;
M-IND - fitness for military service in the Armed Forces, other troops and military formations of the Republic of Kazakhstan is determined individually, and provides a category of fitness “Б” or “B”;
IND - fitness for service in the branches and combatant branches of the Armed Forces, other troops and military formations of the Republic of Kazakhstan, for certain military registration specialties is determined individually.