Under the Government Decree (as of May 20, 2020 No. 306), the concerned government agencies are carrying out a set of measures to register vehicles with left-hand drive, which were registered by citizens of Kazakhstan in the authorized bodies of the Republic of Armenia and imported into Kazakhstan until February 1, 2020.
The Government has extended the registration period for the abovementioned vehicles until March 1, 2021 (Government Decree as of September 02, 2020 No. 553).
In the period June 1st to August 31st of this year, DIA registered more than 14 thousand (14 343) vehicles that comply with the registration conditions.
From September 1st to September 16th of this year, 842 cars were registered.
Currently, the Ministry of Trade and Integration is implementing a set of measures to increase the number and relevant accreditation of testing laboratories for vehicles where a right-hand drive was transferred to left-hand drive.
To date, testing laboratories in Almaty, Kostanay, Uralsk and Petropavlovsk have accreditation to issue safety inspection reports for a vehicle structure and over 800 converted vehicles have been registered in Kazakhstan after receiving positive inspection reports.
Registration of such vehicles continues.
What is needed for temporary registration of vehicles?
For registration of vehicles with left-hand drive, which were registered by citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan in the authorized bodies of the Republic of Armenia and imported into the Republic of Kazakhstan until February 1, 2020, the owners should submit the following:
- an ID document;
- documents certifying payment of fee for state registration pursuant to Clause 4 Article 553 of the Tax Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan as well as payment of state duties pursuant to Article 615 of the Tax Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- vehicle registration certificate and national number plate for a vehicle issued by an authorized body of the Republic of Armenia;
- safety certificate for a vehicle structure in the form pursuant to Appendix 17 to TR CU 018/2011 or safety inspection report for a vehicle structure pursuant to the National Standard of the Republic of Kazakhstan 1418-2018 "Motor vehicles. Changes to the design. General provisions and technical requirements" (hereinafter: safety inspection report for a vehicle structure), if an identification number contains less than 17 characters (requirements of paragraph 16-1 of the Order of the Minister of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan as of December 2, 2014 No. 862 "On approval of the Rules for state registration and record of certain types of vehicles by vehicle identification number, training of motor vehicle drivers, arrangement of exams and issuance of driving licenses.").
Cost of vehicle registration under the Government Decree (as of May 20.,2020, No.306) is KZT 12 543, including registration fee - KZT 730 (0,25 MCI), technical passport fee – KZT 3 646 (1.25 MCI), national number plate fee – KZT 8 167 (2.8 MCI).
Payment for taxes, duties and fees
Prior to permanent registration you will have to make a payment for:
- customs fee and duty;
- value-added tax (VAT);
- excise duty.
First, you need to calculate the customs commodity cost. The customs commodity cost is the price of commodities and the amount of expenses incurred during the purchase and transportation. The cost is indicated in a declaration by car owners themselves. To confirm a cost, one needs to enclose receipts and a sales contract. If there is no receipt, and a cost indicated in declaration is lower than the market price, the state revenue authorities make their own evaluation.
Amount of customs duties is based on customs value. The fee for customs declaring of goods is KZT 20.000 tenge.
The next payment is an excise duty. Excise duty rate is fixed and amounts to KZT 100 per 1 cc.
The VAT rate is set at 12%. The amount is calculated according to the following scheme: VAT = (Customs value + Duty, fees + Excise duty) x 12%.
Total amount of customs payments = Fees for customs clearance + Duty + Excise duty+ VAT
Here you can calculate approximate sum of customs payments and taxes.
The sum of initial registration of vehicles, including temporary registration, depends on the amount of MCI and the age of a vehicle.
Initial registration of a new vehicle is cheaper, while older cars are more expensive.
The tax rate for vehicles used for transportation of passengers and having, in addition to a driver's seat, no more than 8 seats - passenger cars (M1 category) with electric motors, excluding hybrid ones:
- up to 2 years, including manufacture year: 0,25 MCI;
- from 2 to 3 years, including manufacture year: 25 MCI;
- from 3 years and above, including manufacture year: 250 MCI.
The duty rate for vehicles of M1 category, excluding vehicles with electric motors:
- up to 2 years, including manufacture year: 0,25 MCI;
- from 2 to 3 years, including manufacture year: 50 MCI;
- from 3 years and above, including manufacture year:500 MCI.
The duty for issuance of vehicle registration certificate is 1.25 MCI.
The duty for issuance of vehicle plate is 2.8 MCI.
For example, to register a vehicle produced in 2011 and which is not on an electric motor, the total amount will be as follows: (500 MCI + 1.25 MCI + 2.8 MCI) = 1 458 500+ 3 646+ 8 167 = KZT 1 470 313
Payment for recycling fee
Since January 1, 2016, the principle of extended producer (importer) responsibility (EPR) has been introduced.
The EPR responsibilities apply to the commodities included into the list.
The list also includes vehicles for which a recycling fee should be paid.
Recycling fee is payment to an operator of extended producer (importer) responsibility made by a producer (importer) for arrangement of collection, transportation, processing, deactivation, use and (or) disposal of waste generated after the loss of consumer properties of commodities (goods) for which extended producer (importer) responsibility apply, including packaging. Car manufacturers, official importers and individuals willing to import vehicles to Kazakhstan should make a payment of recycling fee.
The amount of recycling fee is calculated based on the coefficient applied to the base rate for various types of vehicles. The base rate is 50 MCI.
For light motor vehicles, the fee is calculated based on engine capacity:
- up to 1 000 cc: coefficient is 3;
- from 1 001 to 2 000 cc: coefficient is 7;
- from 2 001 to 3 000 cc: coefficient is 10;
- above 3 001 cc: coefficient is 23.
The minimum recycling fee is for vehicles with electric motors, excluding hybrid vehicles. A coefficient of 3 is applied to them.
Payment for recycling fee is made prior to initial registration of a vehicle on the https://recycle.kz/ website.
In the section "Recycling payments" you can pay for a recycling fee. To make a payment, registration and access to your personal account is required. A preliminary calculation of the utilization fee can be done in this section using the calculator icon. There is also a field available to check a recycling fee for vehicle.
Requirements to a vehicle
Only left-hand drive vehicles are subject to registration.
In case if it was ascertained that a drive was changed, citizens will need to obtain a safety certificate for a vehicle structure or safety inspection report for a vehicle structure, which are issued by accredited test laboratories.
If there is a certificate or report, a vehicle will be registered and approved for operation in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
What is needed for permanent registration of vehicles?
Registration of vehicles imported to the Republic of Kazakhstan is performed upon provision of the following documents:
- national ID;
- documents certifying:
- customs clearance;
- payment of duties and fees established by the Tax Code (pursuant to Article 615 of the Tax Code for the issuance of the following: vehicle registration certificate - 1.25 monthly calculation index (hereinafter: MCI); national number plate for a vehicle - 2.8 MCI; initial state registration of vehicle in accordance with Article 553 of the Tax Code); disposal fee (fulfillment of extended obligations by manufacturers (importers) during initial registration of vehicles established by the Environmental Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan);
- a document confirming a vehicle ownership (sale and purchase agreement, document on the right to inherit property, exchange agreement, donation drawn up in accordance with the requirements of civil law);
- safety certificate for a vehicle structure to confirm the compliance of a vehicle with the requirements of the technical regulation of the Customs Union 018/2011 "On the safety of wheeled vehicles" (issued by accredited laboratories in the field of certification).
The above list of documents is submitted to the CSC employees for generation of an application and its subsequent transfer to the internal affairs bodies to check a vehicle for theft and search after which a vehicle is registered
Consequences of untimely registration
In accordance with the requirements of the current legislation, such a category of citizens is obliged to take measures to prevent the operation of such vehicles (they can be taken out of the country, sold for spare parts, or returned to a previous owner in a civil or judicial proceeding).
There will be no special raids, but if a driver of such a vehicle violates the Traffic Rules, then measures will be taken against him/her, including measures for violation of vehicle registration requirements for which liability is provided in the form of a fine amounted to 10 MCI (KZT 29 170) (Article 590 of the Administrative Violations Code) and placing a car at a police impound.