On 25 September 2015, at UN Headquarters in New York, world leaders, including Heads of State and Government, adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which includes a list of 17 Sustainable Development Goals aimed at eradicating poverty, combating inequality and injustice, and addressing climate change.
Kazakhstan, as a country that has committed itself to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals, is actively working in all directions and is ready to contribute to the successful achievement of global goals. In 2019, two online resources were launched to learn about the achievements, as well as current programs for 17 goals. Also, on July 19, 2019, for the first time, the Voluntary National Report on the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals in the Republic of Kazakhstan will be presented to the UN General Assembly.
On July 16, 2019, in New York, Kazakhstan presented the first Voluntary National Review of the country in the course of the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development Goals. The reviews were presented by delegations from 48 countries. The Forum was devoted to the issues of empowering people and providing their inclusivity and equality. The central focus was on six specific goals: SDG 4 “Quality Education”, SDG 8 “Decent work and Economic Growth”, SDG 10 “Reduced Inequalities”, SDG 13 “Climate Action”, SDG 16 “Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions” and SDG 17 “Partnerships for the Goals”.
The Coordination Council on Sustainable Development Goals chaired by the Deputy Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan was established on behalf of the Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan on 15 August 2018. The coordination body of the Council is the Ministry of National Economy.
The Secretariat is the Institute for Economic Research, which provides expert and analytical support.
Coverage of the Sustainable Development Goals by the state planning system
- Continued nationalization of SDG targets and indicators
- Effective fiscal reform that will allow for consistent achievement of the SDGs
- Continued dialogue between the government, civil society, business community, international organizations and other stakeholders to ensure their quality participation in order to maximize the results of the SDGs
- Maintaining effective regional cooperation with Central Asian countries and other international partners
- Development of the Strategy for Sustainable Development until 2030