Rules for entry and exit from Kazakhstan for foreign nationals Printable versionLast update: 14.08.2023
Notification on arrival of a foreign citizen
According to the applicable rules, a receiving party is obliged to notify a migration service about arrival of a foreign citizen to Kazakhstan, as well as about the change of residence. This should be done within 3 working days from the date of arrival of a foreign citizen.
A notification is required in all the cases, regardless of the order of entry: with visa or under a visa-free regime. The notification is submitted by a receiving party. A foreign citizen does not need to apply to a migration service himself/herself.
There are several options to submit a notification:
· online via the Visa and Migration Portal (vmp.gov.kz)
· in paper to a migration service
· online via eQonaq.kz information system
Note: late submission of a notification entails a fine for a receiving party in the amount from 10 to 20 MCI*. Repeated violation during an year entails a 1-year ban on issuing visa invitations**.
Unilateral visa-free regime
Visa-free regime under bilateral agreements
Change of visa category
Facilitated visa processing procedure
Temporary Residence Permit (TRP)
Laws and regulations
The information in the migration digest has been prepared based on the following regulatory legal acts of the Republic of Kazakhstan as of February 2023:
- Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan "On Population Migration"
- Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan "On Legal Status of Foreigners"
- Rules for issuing invitations, approving invitations for foreigners and stateless persons to enter the Republic of Kazakhstan, issuing, canceling, restoring visas of the Republic of Kazakhstan, as well as extending and reducing their validity periods
- Rules of entry and stay of immigrants in the Republic of Kazakhstan, as well as their departure from the Republic of Kazakhstan and Rules of migration control, as well as registration of foreigners and stateless persons illegally crossing the state border of the Republic of Kazakhstan, illegally staying in the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan, as well as persons who are prohibited from entering the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Rules for provision by receiving persons of information about immigrants staying with them, as well as transit travel of foreigners and stateless persons on the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan "On Administrative Offenses"