Sanitary quarantine control: types and actions Printable versionLast update: 18.08.2021
State Sanitary and Epidemiological Supervision involves activities of sanitary and epidemiological bodies aimed at preventing, detecting and restraining legislation breaches in the field of population health and environment protection. Sanitary and epidemiological activities in the Republic of Kazakhstan are carried out by state sanitary and epidemiological bodies. The sanitary and epidemiological bodies are as follows:
- branch of Applied Research Centre for Sanitary-Epidemiological Expertise and Monitoring under the National Center for Public Health, Ministry of Health of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- state organizations performing sanitary and epidemiological expertise on the state border, on the territories and in transport, and also state organization carrying out sanitary and epidemiological expertise during formal events with participation of state officials;
- republican research institutions performing activities in the field of sanitary and epidemiological prosperity of population pursuant to the legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- state antiplague institutions.
Quarantine control involves control over migration of people and cargos across the state border in order to prevent bringing of infectious and parasitic diseases into the territory of the country, including substances and products potentially dangerous for a human’s life.
The following types of control are performed by officials at state sanitary and epidemiological control facilities:
- Inspections under special procedure. It is an inspection scheduled by a state control and supervision body based on risk assessment relating to a specific entity (object) in order to prevent and (or) eliminate the immediate threats to life and health of people, environment, legitimate interests of individuals and legal entities, state.
- Unscheduled inspections. An inspection prescribed by a state control and supervision body for specific facts and circumstances that served as the basis for prescription of an inspection for a particular entity (object) in order to prevent and (or) eliminate an immediate threat to life and health of humans, environment, legitimate interests individuals and legal entities, state.
Dangerous cargos and goods prohibited by the legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan are not admitted into the territory of the country as well as cargos and goods for which it was detected during the quarantine control that they pose a threat of infectious diseases and mass non-infectious diseases and poisonings distribution.
Restrictive actions, including quarantine which are imposed in case of infectious diseases threat:
- interim termination of passenger transportations (air, railway, water and car transport) to countries with ravaging infectious diseases;
- interim termination of citizens` trips for tourist and business purposes to countries with ravaging infectious diseases;
- interim closure of the state border of the Republic of Kazakhstan with neighbouring countries with ravaging infectious diseases.
In case of restrictive measures introduction, operational command is imposed on local and republican emergency antiepidemic commissions. Restrictive measures, including quarantine, at specific facilities are imposed (canceled) by decision of Chief State Sanitary Inspector of corresponding territory or his/her deputies.
The list of infectious diseases the threat of which requires introduction of restrictive measures, including quarantine:
- Yellow fever
- Severe acute respiratory syndrome
- Viral hemorrhagic fever
- Human flu caused by a new virus subtype
- Coronavirus infection caused by a new virus subtype