What to do in case of carbon monoxide Printable versionLast update: 06.04.2023
Carbon monoxide is extremely toxic to humans. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause serious damage to health and lead to death!
Carbon monoxide releases due to a lack of oxygen during burning.
Carbon monoxide is caused by:
- clogged chimney or leaky chimney pipe
- untimely closing of furnace flap, insufficient access of fresh air, poor draft
- wood burning in the stove or fireplace
- cracks in the furnace heat exchanger
- indoor or garage grill
- corroded or disconnected water heater vent pipe
- burning of household gas in conditions of lack of oxygen and poor ventilation
- fires (finding a person in the center of a fire)
- turned on vehicle
- any burning in a closed room without air supply
Carbon monoxide has no smell, so it is very difficult to recognize it!
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning (one to several symptoms are possible): dizziness, heaviness and throbbing in the head, headache, nausea, vomiting, suffocation, shortness of breath, coughing, watery eyes, fatigue, disorientation, fainting.
First aid in case of carbon monoxide poisoning:
In case of mild poisoning (dizziness and nausea) - quickly remove a person from the carbon monoxide zone, ensure a flow of fresh air (open the windows and doors)
If a person is conscious - give him/her ammonia liquid to smell, rub the body, make a strong tea or coffee, call an ambulance.
If a person is unconscious - immediately begin artificial respiration before the ambulance arrives.
Note! Even with mild carbon monoxide poisoning, do not leave a person unattended until his/her condition completely returns to normal and be ready to call an ambulance if necessary.
To contact ambulance, call 103
To contact the rescue service, call 112