Missionary activities Printable versionLast update: 08.12.2022
Pursuant to subclause 5) of Article 1 of the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan "On Religious Activities and Religious Associations" (hereinafter: Law), missionary activity is the activity of citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan, foreigners, stateless persons aimed at spreading religious beliefs on the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan for the purpose of conversion to religion.
According to the Law, citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan, foreigners and stateless persons can carry out missionary activities after registration. Registration of persons engaged in missionary activities is carried out by local executive bodies in the field of religious activity and does not exceed ten working days from the date of documents submission. The registration is suspended in case of conducting a religious studies examination to obtain statement on the materials submitted by a missionary.
Missionaries on the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan are required to re-register annually in local executive bodies.
Pursuant to the Rules of Public Service Delivery “Registration and re-registration of individuals executing missionary activities”, the following documents and materials should be submitted to local executive bodies for registration:
- Application for registration (re-registration) of missionary.
- Copy of passport (for foreigners and stateless individuals residing in the Republic of Kazakhstan).
- Document issued by a religious association that enables performing missionary activities on behalf of religious association (signed and sealed (if available) by head of religious association with indication of issuance date).
- Copy of statute of religious association represented by a missionary.
- Religious literature, other information materials of religious content and religious items intended for missionary activities.
- Copy of letter on positive statement based on the results of theological inspection (if available).
Foreigners and stateless individuals residing in the Republic of Kazakhstan should also submit the following documents:
- Formalized or apostilled document certifying that a religious association represented by a missionary is officially registered under the legislation of a foreign country.
- Invitation issued by a religious association registered in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Documents issued by foreign countries are submitted with a notarized in the Republic of Kazakhstan translation into Kazakh and Russian, which in its turn should have a notarized in the Republic of Kazakhstan authenticity of translator`s signature.
Registration for citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan, foreigners and stateless individuals, who submitted documents for registration as missionaries, can be denied on the basis of negative statement of theological inspection, and also if missionary activities jeopardize constitutional order, public order, rights and freedoms of people as well as health and morals.
Use of missionary materials of religious content and religious items is prohibited without obtainment of positive statement from theological inspection.
Execution of missionary activities without registration is prohibited.