How to protect oneself against the influence of destructive religious ideas Printable versionLast update: 30.03.2021
Today, religious extremism and terrorism have become one of the major threats to humanity.
A destructive religious movement or organization is a destructive religious or pseudo-religious (imitating a religious) organization seeking to establish complete (total) control over the consciousness and will of its followers.
Prevention is more effective rather than reaction to consequences.
- Signs of destructive religious associations/movements
The following should alert you, if people you met claim that:
- You will find what you have been looking for until now in their group. They know exactly what you need.
- The very first meeting with them reveals a completely new worldview for you.
- The worldview of their group is overwhelmingly simple and explains any problem.
- Use of special psychological control techniques (NLP).
They tell you that
- The group has a teacher, medium, leader or guru. Only he/she knows the whole truth;
- Teaching of a group is deemed as the only real one, i.e. eternal true knowledge. Conventional science, rational thinking and common sense are rejected because they are negative, satanic, unenlightened;
- Criticism from people outside a group is considered as prove of its truth;
- The world is heading for disaster and only a group knows how to save it;
- A group is the elite. The rest of humanity is seriously ill and lost as it does not cooperate with a group or does not allow a group to save the world;
- You should become a group member.
As the result:
- A group limits itself from the rest of the world, for example through clothes, food, special language, clear regulation of interpersonal relationships;
- A group wants you to break up your "previous relationships" as they hinder your development (first of all, they try to get rid of relatives/parents as it is usually them who try to save a person from being zombified);
- Your sexual relations are regulated from the outside, for example, management selects partners, prescribes group sex or, vice versa, complete abstinence;
- A group fills all your time with tasks by making you selling books or newspapers, recruiting new members, attending courses, meditating;
- It is difficult for you to be left alone, someone from the group is always with you;
- If you start to have doubts and a promised success does not come, then it is you who will always be guilty for it, because you allegedly did not try enough, participate or act enough.
- Ways to get involved into destructive movements
There are 3 categories of citizens, who are potentially prone to be enrolled by targeted religious groups:
- the youth,
- labor migrants living in a state of serious economic and psychological stress,
- the convicts.
Also, a special risk group involves individuals engaged in intensive spiritual searches and aiming at “complete and absolute truth”.
Involvement into destructive cults occurs the following ways:
- Social media is the most effective and widespread tool for enrollment.
- Sports is one of the favorite areas for enrollment. The most susceptible to this are those sports where different nations are presented: wrestling, box and martial arts.
- Also, orphanages and baby orphanages and crisis centers are the most accessible in this respect.
- Prisons can also become the places for enrollment.
Signs of standard enrollment methods:
- It is the friendliest person you have ever met;
- A person is keen on something what you like to do;
- A person showers you with compliments and praises and coolly assesses what can be taken from you: enthusiasm, energy, physical or intellectual strength, money, an apartment, etc.;
- A person has answers to all the questions.
- Consequences of getting involved into destructive religious movements
As the result, a person does not understand that he/she has become a puppet and is controlled by someone. His/her personal "I" is dulled and the collective "We" is imposed.
A person finally loses his thinking, opinion, self-awareness, psychologically he/she becomes a part of a large collective organism, in such a situation it is no longer possible to rely on his/her logic, critical thinking.
Society loses a person, future engineer, doctor, astronaut, scientist, teacher, etc., while the extremists are glad that another "brother in faith" has joined them, ready to do anything for the common goal.
At the same time, the goals can differ, from a simple deviation from true religious values, which creates conditions for the imposition of selfish ideas, to a riot aimed at establishing a theocratic form of government.