Amateur fishing on the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan is performed pursuant to the Fishing Rules approved by the Order of Acting Minister of Agriculture of the Republic of Kazakhstan as of February 27, 2015 No. 18-04/148.
If you decided to go fishing to satisfy sports or aesthetic needs or in order to consume fish, you first need to formalize certain permit documents.
In the material, we will describe what is needed for amateur fishing on the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan rivers and what is the period when fishing is prohibited.
Types of fishing
Fishing is divided on the following types:
1) commercial fishing;
2) amateur (sport) fishing;
3) scientific and research fishing;
4) test fishing;
5) ameliorative fishing;
6) fishing for reproduction purposes.
Amateur (sport) fishing involves fishing for fish resources and other aquatic animals in order to satisfy sports and aesthetic needs, to hold sports competitions, as well as to consume the fish, carried out with fishing gear that allows single-piece fishery.
Where amateur (sport) fishing takes place
Amateur (sport) fishing takes place in established and non-established (by reserve fund) fishery waters and (or) plots.
In the reserve fund, amateur (sport) fishing is executed free-of-charge without any permits up to 5 kilograms for 1 fisherman. When fishing exceeds 5 kilograms, one needs to obtain a permit by submitting a written application to a local executive body.
How to obtain a permit for amateur (sport) fishing on reserve waters
Obtainment of permit for amateur (sport) fishing is performed on a paid basis via the online service: Issuance of permit of the use of wildlife
When submitting an online application, one needs to enclose the following:
- electronic copy of the list of individuals participating in withdrawal of wildlife resources, expect hunting, signed by a service recipient;
- electronic copy of document certifying payment for wildlife use, except cases when payment was made via e-Gov Payment Gateway.
Registration of application by an authority or local executive body is performed on the Portal within 1 working day (if an application was accepted after 06.00 PM or on Saturday then the term is calculated beginning from the following working day) from the moment of submission.
Payment fees are stipulated by the Tax Code and amount to a sum divisible by MCI.
For example, when executing sports/amateur (recreational) fishing (with withdrawal) fee is as follows:
- large ordinary fish: 0.017 (per 1 kilo)
- sturgeon: 5.5 (per 1 kilo)
- whitefish, salmon: 0.042 (per 1 kilo)
- small ordinary fish: 0.008 (per 1 kilo)
- crawfish: 0.008 (per one specimen).
Permit or substantiated refusal will be sent within 3 working days after submission of an application.
Fishery in established waters and (or) plots is performed based on the voucher.
The vouchers are issued on a paid basis by a natural resources’ user, to whom a fishery reservoir is assigned, if there is a withdrawal quota. The cost of a voucher is determined by a natural resources’ user. In the context of market conditions and competition, a natural resources’ user is customer-oriented when setting prices for vouchers.
What can be used for amateur fishing
For amateur (sport) fishing one can use the following:
- rods (fishing rods) of all names (lures, fishing tackle, spinning rods) with no more than 5 hooks per 1 fisherman,
- metallic lures, loops, creels (no more than 3 per 1 fisherman).
What are the cases when fishing is not allowed?
Fishing is not allowed:
- near dams, sluices and bridges, on channels connecting the lakes with each other and the main river, supply channels and outlets of reclamation systems, at a distance of less than 500 meters in front of the mouths of rivers and canals on both sides of their confluence and at a distance of closer than 500 meters deep into the reservoir, and also at a distance of 1500 meters up the river and canal;
- using fishing gear application of which is not stipulated by the Fishing Rules;
- in fish wintering holes during winter period, on spawning grounds during spawning and in other areas at the time and place established by an authorized body on the basis of biological justification;
- using floating structures without registration numbers and not registered in the manner prescribed by the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan as of July 6, 2004 "On Inland Water Transport";
- using fishing gear for commercial fishing without tags indicating the name of organization and parameters of the fishing gear in accordance with the permit for wildlife use;
- using fixed fishing gear for sturgeon fishing in the sea and rivers;
- being in a state of alcoholic or drug intoxication or intoxication of another type;
- using methods that are not allowed by the Fishing Rules;
- when fishing gear occupies more than two-thirds of the width of a river or channel;
- in case of installation of fixed fishing gear in a checkerboard pattern, vents and secrets within a radius of 500 meters from the mouths of rivers and drains, inflowing channels;
- closer than 500 meters to dams, sluices and bridges when performing commercial fishing;
- in places of concentration and on migration routes of fish resources and other aquatic animals during their breeding season, in places and at times established by an authorized body on the basis of biological justification;
- with application of explosive devices, chemical and poisonous substances, as well as firearms;
- using types of tools and fishing methods not included in the list without permission of an authorized body.
What is not allowed on fishery waters?
The following is not allowed on fishery waters and (or) plots:
- destruction of vegetation and other actions that deteriorate the conditions of the habitat of fish resources and other aquatic animals;
- riding on boats, motor boats and other floating equipment with the engines turned on in designated areas of fish spawning grounds during their breeding season;
- flight of planes, helicopters and other aircraft over the territory of the mass habitat of seals below 1 kilometer;
- destruction of the habitat of fish resources and other aquatic animals, signposts, structures intended for fish farming;
- withdrawal of rare and endangered species of fish and other aquatic animals, their parts or derivatives without a decision of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- withdrawal of fish resources and other aquatic animals in excess to the established limit and outside the time limits specified in permits for wildlife use or vouchers, as well as in rest zones;
- withdrawal of fish resources and other aquatic animals using the types of tools, methods and ways of catching not provided for by these Rules;
- withdrawal of fish resources and other aquatic animals using explosive devices, pesticides;
- execution without the permission of an authorized body of introduction, reintroduction and hybridization of fish resources and other aquatic animals;
- destruction or damage of poles, floating identification marks and notices marking the boundaries of fish wintering holes, spawning grounds, fishery sites and places prohibited for fishing;
- operation of water intake and discharge structures without fish protection devices, as well as those that do not meet the requirements established by the order of the Minister of Agriculture of the Republic of Kazakhstan as of May 31, 2019 No. 221 "On approval of the Requirements for fish protection devices of water intake structures";
- stop of water transport within the limits of places prohibited for fishing, with the exception of stops at villages, fish reception points, for the installation of buoys and in case of emergency;
- transfer of various types of fishing gear from the fishery waters and (or) plots to others without specialized processing;
- opening of new fishery sites, grounds (plots), rafting and floating in rivers without the permission of a local executive body;
- being in reservoir or in close proximity to it with fishing gear use of which is not provided for by the Rules;
- keeping fish in fish string, releasing dead and sick fish from floating equipment and fishing gear into the water and the coastal strip, except for the cases specified in part four of paragraph 8 of the Rules;
- fishing, reception, sale and purchase, transportation and storage of fish less than the fishing measure established by the Rules;
- delivery and acceptance of fish to individuals and legal entities without specifying the type or under the name "other" and "small fish";
- simultaneous setting of two or more nets (lock seam), as well as setting of a net before the complete hauling of a previous net ashore;
- circulation of all types of water transport with the engines turned on during the period prohibited for fishing on fishery waters and (or) plots, as well as in places prohibited for fishing, without the consent of a territorial division;
- purchase and sale of fish resources and other aquatic animals by individuals and legal entities without permits for wildlife use and without registration of documents provided for by the Rules within the sanitary protection zones and water areas.
What are the fishing prohibitions depending on the terms and places?
There are prohibitions that operate within the whole season. One should differentiate sport fishing and poaching.
Thus, there are places and terms for the use of water resources and other aquatic animals, their parts and derivatives.