How to keep a dog and take it for a walk in Nur-Sultan Printable versionLast update: 30.03.2021
In each region and city of the republican significance there are rules available approved by the decision of maslikhat on how to keep dogs and cats and how to take them for a walk. If you decided to keep a dog and/or a cat or if you already have a pet, you need to know and follow the rules on how to keep a pet and how to take it for a walk. Rules in each region and city of the republican significance differ but general provisions are the same. In this material we will describe how to keep dogs and take them for a walk on the example of Nur-Sultan city.
Which dogs require a special responsibility from an owner
American Pit Bull Terrier;
- American Staffordshire Terrier;
- Bull Terrier;
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier;
- Half-breeds from the above breeds.
Such dogs can be taken for a walk only on a tight leash and muzzle and can only walk on free range grounds or training grounds. Free range on the territory of the city is prohibited. An owner can only be an individual over 21 years old.
Should animals undergo vaccination and be registered in the single database?
An 18-year old can be an owner of an ordinary dog breed. There are no restrictions on the number of animals that one can have.If you already have a dog or cat, you should register all your animals in the single identification database for dogs and cats (in a specialized organization or in veterinary hospitals). Newborn animals are registered at the age of 3 months. A veterinary passport is issued. If an animal is transferred to another person or in case of moving to another locality with an animal, you should notify a veterinary hospital. In case of an animal`s death, a veterinary passport is subject to submission. Beginning from the age of 3 months, dogs and cats are subject to mandatory vaccination against rabies. No less than once per quarter, preventive activities should be taken against skin parasites and helminths.
It is not allowed to keep animals in common facilities, such as:
- stairwell landings,
- adjoining balconies or recessed balconies,
- other auxiliary rooms of common use,
- on territories adjacent to a house.
It is prohibited to keep a dog and/or a cat in kitchens and hallways of dormitories. It is allowed to keep an animal in your`s living quarters with the written consent from a dormitory`s neighbours. You can keep a dog on the territory of enterprises, organizations, institutions, horticultural and country non-profit associations of citizens, recreation centers, and only on a leash or in a closed metal cage (сrate). An appropriate sign at the entrance should notify on the presence of a dog on the territory.
Where one can take a dog for a walk?
It is allowed to take a dog for a walk (without leash and muzzle):
- on free range grounds,
- on training grounds for dogs.
An owner may not always put on a muzzle to a dog, but should carry it with him/her to wear if necessary.When walking, it is not allowed to pollute courtyards, porches, landings, elevators, playgrounds, paths, sidewalks, squares, parks, recreation areas. An owner needs to have bags with him/her and, if necessary, immediately remove excrements and throw a bag into the trash.It is prohibitied to people under the influence of alcohol to take dogs for a walk and be with them in public places and transport.
It is not allowed to take dogs for a walk on:
- fenced playgrounds and sports grounds,
- territories of pre-school and school organizations,
- territories of medical organizations,
- in places with prohibitory signs,
- territories where swimming is allowed to people. You cannot wash an animal in ponds, fountains and well fields.
Dogs, except guide-dogs cannot stay at catering establishments, trading and production halls of food service shops, and cultural institutions.If there are no prohibitary signs, you can visit institutions, non-food stores, post offices and other places with your dog. A dog hould be in a muzzle and on a tight leash.
Owners of dogs and/or cats should observe the following requirements:
- keep dogs and/or cats in accordance with their physical and physiological needs,
- humanly treat them and prevent ill-treatment,
- provide animals with an adequate amount of meals and permanent access to drinking water,
- in case if a dog and/or cat fell ill, immediately visit a specialized organization or veterinary clinic and scrupulously observe the recommendations of a veterinary specialist based on an examination results,
- if an owner cannot keep a dog and/or cat then he/she should transfer an animal to other owners or organization or to a specialized organization that catches pets,
- ensure a behaviour of dogs and cats that won’t disturb others and observe public safety requirements,
- prevent catching of dogs and cats with the purpose to use their fells and meat for sales, processing and consumption,
- prevent participation in arrangement of dogfighting.
What is to be done if an animal died?
If an animal died, you should inform an organization where it was registered to exclude it from the single identification database of dogs and cats. It is not allowed to throw away the bodies of dogs and/or cats and bury them on the territory of Nur-Sultan.The bodies of dogs and cats are handed to a specialized organization that catch and dispose of dogs and cats.
Liability for violation of rules for dogs and cats housing
Violation of rules for dogs and cats housing involve notification or fine in the amount of 3 MCI.If actions entailed damage to health or property of an individual, a fine is imposed in the amount of 10 MCI.For ill-treatment of animals that entailed their death or infliction of injury, an owner bears criminal responsibility. Ill-treatment is punishable
- with a fine in the amount of up to 200 MCI,
- corrective works in the same amount,
- community service for a term up to 180 hours,
- arrest for a term up to 60 days.
Actions committed by a group of people or group of people upon a preliminary collusion or actions committed repeatedly are punishable
- with a fine in the amount of up to 500 MCI,
- corrective works in the same amount,
- community service for a term up to 300 hours
- arrest for a term up to 90 days.
Rules for animals housing for other cities and regions: