Draft exemption or temporary deferral from military service Printable versionLast update: 02.12.2020
Еvery year in Kazakhstan young fellows from 18 to 27 years old are called to military service. Military service and protection of the Republic of Kazakhstan are duties and obligations of each citizen. However, there is a number of circumstances by reason of which a citizen can be exempted from military service on temporary and permanent basis (according to the Law «On military service and status of servicemen»). If an exemption considers full dismissal of citizen from military service, the deferral is a temporary prolongation of draft to military service due to certain circumstances.
Exemption from military service (army)
First of all let’s note that military discipline in Kazakhstan is divided into several directions:
- urgent military service (fellows of 18-27 years old for 12 months);
- reserve officership (or fellows up to 29 years old for 24 months);
- military service under the contract (according to the term indicated in contract);
- military meetings (obligated reservists from 2 weeks to three months).
Military draft is carried out two times per year: from March to June and from September to November.
Exemption from military draft in peaceful time may be obtained by:
- unserviceable persons by the reason of health condition;
Nowadays there is a list of diseases according to which a citizen can be condemned as unserviceable for army service. By the results of medical examination the doctor- specialists makes a conclusion on citizen serviceability category by following criteria:
- "А" – is serviceable to military service.
- "Б" – is serviceable to military service with insignificant restrictions.
- "В" – partially serviceable to military service
- "Г" – temporary unserviceable to military service
- "Д" – unserviceable to military service in time of peace.
- "Е" - unserviceable to military service with the exception of the military registration.
- aged 27 years;
- persons one of whose relatives (father, mother, brother or sister) died, passed away or became disabled of group I or II while execution of official duties at military service.
- having passed military (alternative) service in other state;
- who served in special government bodies of the Republic of Kazakhstan, with the exception of cases provided for by paragraph 9 of Article 51 of the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan "On Special State Bodies of the Republic of Kazakhstan"
- who have doctoral degree upon provision of confirming documents about study;
- ecclesiastic, registered in religious communities.
In time of peace from military meetings draft the following people are exempted:
- citizens, working in state authorities on the positions, related with defense providing, security and law and order:
- aviation personnel of state, civil and experimental aviation;
- citizens working in agriculture and in organizations of agricultural technique repair at the period of seeding and harvesting;
- pedagogical workers of educational institutions of full- time studying for the academic year period;
- studying at educational institutions on full- time course of study;
- women- liable for military service;
- liable for military service during 2 years after military discharge;
- citizens, who have 3 or more children aged under 18 years;
- citizens who are under the preliminary investigation or criminal proceedings;
- liable for military service elected by deputies of RK Parliament or local representative bodies
- citizens who have criminal record.
Note, in case if military service draft is carried out in wartime, only citizens, who are unserviceable by the reason of health condition may be exempted.
As it was mentioned above, deferral – is a temporary prolongation of the term of military service draft under particular circumstances.
Deferral is provided according to following circumstances:
- for family reasons;
- in case of continuance of education;
- for health reasons;
- for other reasons.
Deferral from army draft for family reasons is provided to citizens:
- caring about family members, who need an assistance and who are not on full state provision, and also if there are no other close relatives.
Family members who need an assistance and care are:
- father, mother, wife and also grandfather and grandmother if a draftee do not have parents, if they are on his dependence, reached pension age or disabled of group I or II;
- brothers, sisters who are disabled of group I or II or haven’t reached 18 years and do not have parents;
- mother/father, who have 1 or more disabled children of group I or II or haven’t reached 18 years and bring them up without husband/wife;
- mother/father, who have 1 or more lonely relatives (father, mother, sister, brother) who are dependent from them and are unemployable by age or disabled of group I or II and care about them without husband/wife;
- one of the parents, who is dependent from another, being disabled of group I or II and bring up 1 or more under 18 years old children;
- one member of the family with a disability, and in which the conscript is the only male child
- citizens, who have on their dependency:
- child (children) brought up without a mother;
- citizens at whom they have been brought up and held for at least two years in connection with the death of their parents or the deprivation of their parental rights, or by the court's conviction to imprisonment;
- married citizens and having 1 or more children.
Deferral from army draft in case of continuance of education is provided to:
- citizens, getting secondary education in educational organizations;
- citizens, getting technical and professional, postsecondary or higher education on full- time studying in corresponded educational organizations when providing of confirmed documents about studying;
- citizens, getting postgraduate professional education;
- сitizens receive a reprieve to continue their education only for the period of study.
Citizens, getting deferral by the reason of study continuance, get it only for studying period.
Deferral from draft by the reason of health is provided to citizens by the decision of draft committee up to 1 year.
Deferral from army draft by other reasons is provided to:
- teachers of educational organizations, located in rural area, having postsecondary or higher pedagogical education and working within specialty;
- doctors, having corresponded education and constantly working within specialty in rural area;
- deputies of Parliament of Republic of Kazakhstan or local representative bodies;
- persons in respect of which the preliminary investigation is conducted or criminal cases are considered by the courts, respectively, until the end of the inquiry, investigation or entry into force of the court verdict;
- members of the flight crews of civil aircraft, engineers, mechanics and civil aviation technicians with relevant education, for the entire period of work in civil aviation organizations.
In this case the deferral is provided for the whole period of work, but in case of criminal action – till the end of investigation by court decision.
List of diseases, according to which a citizen is recognized serviceable/unserviceable to army
List of diseases you can see here, passing through this link.
Brief description of items used in the table.
Categories of serviceability of a citizen to military service
- in column I:
citizens at the postscript to the conscription sites;
citizens in the call for urgent military service;
citizens during selection for training in military technical and other specialties in specialized organizations of the Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Kazakhstan (hereinafter - specialized organizations of the Defense Ministry of RK) on a gratuitous basis;
citizens entering the republican military boarding schools (lyceums) (hereinafter referred to as schools) and their pupils;
- in column II:
citizens (military servicemen) upon admission to military educational institutions (hereinafter - HEI), implementing programs of secondary technical and vocational, higher education;
citizens at admission and students in military departments (faculties) at higher educational institutions;
citizens upon admission to military service under a contract from among the rank-and-file, reserve sergeants, military servicemen who are in urgent military service, and also to women who do not have a military rank;
citizens in the selection for training in military technical and other specialties in specialized organizations of the Defense Ministry of Kazakhstan on a reimbursable basis;
servicemen who are in urgent military service;
cadets of a university before concluding a contract for military service;
ordinary soldiers and sergeants who are in reserve, when calling for military training and military fees, for accounting purposes;
- in column III:
reserve officers for conscription and military service on contract;
servicemen undergoing military service on contract;
officers serving military service on conscription;
servicemen, upon admission to the university, implementing post-graduate education programs;
cadets university after the contract;
officers staying in reserve, when calling for military fees
and passing military fees, for accounting purposes;
- in column IV:
servicemen (citizens) serving military service (selected for service) in the Land Assault Force (hereinafter - LAF), the Navy (hereinafter referred to as the Navy), special purpose units (hereinafter - SPU) - requirements are imposed for special purpose units, maritime infantry, assault and assault and reconnaissance units, combat swimmers and diving personnel, as well as the crew of ships and ships;
servicemen (citizens) who pass military service (passing military training camps), attracted to underwater driving of tanks and other vehicles, as well as to the sea.
Additional items to the requirement on health condition:
NS - is not suitable for military service, service in the types and branches of the Armed Forces, other troops and military formations of the Republic of Kazakhstan for certain military registration specialties, is not suitable for admission to the university (school);
M-IND - the validity for military service in the Armed Forces, other troops and military formations of the Republic of Kazakhstan is determined individually, and provides for the category of validity of B or V;
IND - the suitability for service in the types and branches of the troops of the Armed Forces, other troops and military formations of the Republic of Kazakhstan, for individual military registration specialties is determined individually.