Renunciation of citizenship of the Republic of Kazakhstan Printable versionLast update: 25.06.2020
Renunciation of citizenship – is a statutory right of a citizen in the prescribed manner to end the relationship with the State of nationality. Renunciation of citizenship of the RK is realized on the basis of voluntary expression. Questions connected with the renunciation of citizenship of RK are regulated by RK Law «On Citizenship of the RK».
When applying for exit from the citizenship of the Republic of Kazakhstan in the units of the migration service, the applicant is explained the legal consequences of losing his citizenship of the Republic of Kazakhstan (about which an appropriate entry is made in the certificate issued by the police officer), as well as the applicants undertakes to submit Kazakhstan documents to the Office of the Migration Service.
Internal affairs agencies require information about the applying person in bodies of legal statistics and information under the General Prosecutor's Office and its territorial divisions about the criminal prosecution as an accused person or about the serving of the sentence upon conviction.
The internal affairs body indicates following information in conclusions for renunciation of citizenship:
- if the applicant has any outstanding obligations to the state or property liabilities, which are connected with substantial interests of citizens, government and other organizations;
- about indictment of applicant as a defendant;
- if a renunciation of citizenship of the RK is not contrary to the interests of national security.
Thus, if a citizen is prosecuted as an accused or is serving a sentence, has outstanding obligations to the RK, or if his renunciation of citizenship is contrary to the interests of national security of the republic, then in accordance with the article 20 of the Law "On RK citizenship" the applicant will be denied in a renunciation of citizenship.
After collecting and checking of all documents submitted to the management of migration police, all the materials are sent to the Office of President of the RK for making a reasoned decision.
You can familiarize with step by step procedure of renunciation of citizenship and learn about the terms of service rendering passing through this link.
While renunciation of citizenship a person has the right to withdraw his pension savings. For this he should address to the branch of pension fund with which he made an agreement on pension assignment and provide necessary documents. More details about withdrawing and transfer of pension savings you may learn passing through this link.
Citizens can also apply for renunciation of citizenship living outside the RK. Residing outside the Kazakhstan does not entail the loss of Kazakhstan citizenship, however non-compliance with the established conditions of stay abroad may entail automatic loss of Kazakhstan citizenship.
Citizens of Kazakhstan who reside abroad permanently (i.e. canceled the registration in the body of internal affairs of Kazakhstan, received a permission to go abroad for permanent residence and registered in Kazakhstan consular offices in the country of residence), the application for renunciation of citizenship must be submitted in the name of President of the RK through Kazakhstan consular offices.
The application is accompanied by:
- application form according to the form, according to Annex 4 to the Rules;
- autobiography (composed with own hand);
- a photograph measuring 3.5 x 4.5 centimetres;
- a copy of the applicant's identity document;
- permission to leave for permanent residence, issued by the bodies of internal affairs of the RK;
- certificate on the presence or absence of a criminal record in accordance with the order of the Prosecutor General of the RK dated July 27, 2015 № 95 "On approval of standards of public services" (registered in the Register of state registration of regulatory legal acts № 12055);
- copies of birth certificates of children and marriage (if any);
- a document confirming the possibility of obtaining foreign citizenship;
- a document on payment of consular fee;
- a notarized application-consent to the withdrawal from the citizenship of the RK and the absence of material or other claims from the applicant's spouse or dependent persons residing in the RK or copies of certificates of their death, the court's decision to recognize the citizen as dead or missing.
When accepting documents, applicants are explained the legal consequences of the termination of their citizenship of the RK, as well as the provision of Article 3 of the Act, according to which a citizen of the RK is not recognized as a citizen of a foreign state, as noted in the application form.
Applications for citizenship of persons under 18 years of age, as well as recognized as incapable, are considered at the request of their legal representatives, certified by a notary, and in other states - certified by a foreign establishment, together with a copy of the birth certificate of the child (adoptive parents, guardians and custodians provide a copy of the decision of the local executive body of the RK) or with an identity document of the incapable person.
When submitting an application for changing the citizenship of a child aged 14 to 18, his or her consent is mandatory, which must be expressed in writing and notarized, and in other countries - certified by a foreign establishment.
Documents shall be drawn up in the state or Russian languages or in another language with a notarized translation into the state or Russian language attached.
A separate conclusion is drawn up for each family member of the applicant.
In what cases one can lose a citizenship?
Renunciation of citizenship of children (under 18 years)
Is RK diploma upon renunciation of citizenship valid abroad?